In this lesson, we will look at what the immune response is behind a hypersensitivity reaction along with different types of reactions that can occur. We will identify risk factors for developing a hypersensitivity response along with causes and complications of each type. Then we will explore signs and symptoms of each reaction and diagnostic testing for this abnormal immune response. Some reactions can be life threatening, so important nursing interventions will be assessed on how to manage symptoms and potential complications. Medications to treat hypersensitivity reactions and side effects of medications will then be reviewed, which will also help to guide nursing interventions. Lastly we will go over important client education topics to help prevent and manage symptoms of a hypersensitivity reaction and to prevent life threatening complications.
Upon the completion of this lesson, learners will be able to:
- Describe signs and symptoms of hypersensitivity reactions
- Discuss causes and risk factors for developing a hypersensitivity reaction
- List types of hypersensitivity reactions
- Identify nursing interventions for treating hypersensitivity reactions
- Distinguish complications of hypersensitivity reactions
Take this course and learn a new skill today. Transform your learning with our all access plan.
Transform your learning with our all access plan.Try for Free